Friday 14 March 2014

3. Meet up with other new mums

The key here is other NEW mums.  I used to spend time with mums who were on number 2 or 3 and ended up unconsciously comparing myself to them.  It was like trying to run before I could walk, I was trying to be a super yummy mummy ahead of my time!  The moment I started hanging out with other new mums, oh the joy! The sheer joy of hearing other people say what you'd be thinking cannot be underestimated.  I won't forget having my first coffee with 2 new mummy friends and feeling instantly liberated as we shared stories of our labour, the days immediately afterwards, the sleepless nights, the difficulties breast-feeding and the absolute emotional roller coaster that becoming a new mum is.  The chance to laugh about these shared experiences is undeniably therapeutic.

In a funny way, it reminded me of being single.  All my experiences, whether good or bad could be turned into a hilarious story when shared with similar friends and after all, a problem shared is a problem halved!

As the weeks and months have ticked on and my circle of lovely new mummy friends have grown, I like to think that we're all becoming yummy mummies….albeit it with the occasional bit of baby sick on our shoulders!

No comments:

Post a Comment